Home | News|
About Us | About OSS
Circus Linux! - Reviews
|Linux Journal, June 2008
by Marcel Gané
from Linux Journal magazine,
Circus Linux, from New Breed Software, is a great, and very silly,
little game that takes place inside the big top of a circus, and yes, the
main characters are clowns. ...
(Read the rest of
|GP32 Port Reviewed
Circus Linux is similar to Breakout or Arkanoid in the respect that
you have to pop the balloons on the top of the screen, while you have
a "seesaw" on the bottom you have to bounce your partner to the top to
pop the balloons. It's not as easy as it sounds, when you miss, your
partner falls through the floor!|
Circus Linux is great fun with beautiful hand-drawn graphics, animated
backgrounds, a catchy theme song, and good sound effects. Even though
the original Circus Linux used the mouse for more precision, Chui has
made the GP32 joypad control it very well. I like to play it in short
bursts to beat my high score! In short, I recommend this game to
anyone who likes simple, but fun arcade-styled games.
Overall Rating: 8.3
Reviews, March 2005
Circus Linux! receive 5 out of 5 penguins|
category from Linuxberg.
The graphics aren't very complex, but however are quite beautifully drawn.
The sound [is] quite funny.
|Linux Journal, May 2000
Circus Linux! was reviewed in the
2000 issue of Linux Journal
Magazine. (Page 164, in the "Games We Play" column.)|
"Another antique to look at is Circus Linux! by Bill Kendrick of
New Breed Software. Bill is an interesting fellow who has developed
a ton of games for Linux... Circus Linux! is his latest, a Linux remake
of the classic (?) Atari 2600 game Circus Atari..."
The Mac release of Circus Linux! was mentioned in the August 30, 2000
issue of Gamesmania.|
|Linux Magazine (Japan)
Linux Magazine mentioned
Circus Linux! its June 2000 issue.
|TECH Linux Article
Circus Linux! was used as the example game in creating
a Linux-based bootable game CD-ROM in an issue of the Japanese
magazine TECH Linux.|
Yamamori Takenori wrote the article, titled
CD-ROM Game System.
- "Circus Atari was my all time favourite! I love your updated version.
... Thank you. this is the best game ever - and you gave it back to me.
I am endebted." - John S.
- "Very cool... my kids love it!"
- "An excellent version of one of my favorite Atari games... I love it!"
- "I think this is your best game so far" - Aaron Matthews
- "Funny game... I love it! It reminds me of the old days." - Micku
- "[At the] last LAN party I had me and my friends were playing [Circus
Linux!] after we got sick of Unreal Tournament and Quake III Arena."
- "Nice job, and the gameplay translates to a mouse better than Kaboom!
- "Ha ha ha... What a fun game. The music and sound effects are a big plus.
Overall the game has a polished feeling that makes it stand out from
the crowd of half finished open source games." - Andrew Meier
- "Good mindless fun..."
- "I think it's great! The first time I played Circus
was on a machine at The Virginian in Medicine Bow,
Wyoming. Playing it again today brings back memories. Thanks!!!!!"
- "Great simple game!! Keep up the great work."
- "It's great, I don't play it much myself, but my 2 year old nephew is
become a dab hand at it :)"
- "My kids say thanks for Circus Linux! :-)"
- "It is great fun, specially for my kids. Kudos and thanks for that."
- "Excellent game, very professional. Linux could use more games like this."
- Michael Watters
- "Excellent "Circus Atari" version with better graphics and sound!
A must have for arcade hardcore-fans!" - Georgie
- "Really nice game."
- "I like the game." - Niels
- "My kids have been playing your game [...] and it is their favorite. [...]
Thank you so much for writing such a neat game." - Linda H.
- "I love it! Thank you! ... I really pine for the creativity and humor of
the old atari games. These days it seems like it's all Doom clones. Thanks
for bringing me back :-)" - Suzanne Skinner
- "...Joyful [with perfect sound]. Four stars" - 'bitvision'
- "Unlike many other people who turn out 'retro clone' type games, you seem
to have a real skill for capturing the spirit and excitement of the old time
arcade and console games. Circus Linux is a great example, it really is a
worthy successor to good old 'Circus Atari'!" - 'MaxQuordlepleen'
- "As a former Atari Computer user myself, I really enjoy your port of
old Atari favorites. My favorite ones are Circus Linux! and Mad Bomber.
I used to be a Kaboom! junkie back in the 80's. ... been a former Atari
8-bit enthusiast, moving to a Linux enthusiast as well, I really enjoy your
work. Thanks for bringing back such fond memories." - 'Heffel'
- "Thanks very much for reproducing one of my favorite games" -
- "I installed ... Circus Linux on my nephews' computer ... the other week.
They love [it]. Great work. I'd recommend these to others with
little kids." - Andrew
- "Bill Kendrick is awesome! Love CircusLinux, reminds me of gaming in
the 80's in terms of playability (and really...I am giving a great
accolade in saying that!). So wish I could stop getting distracted and
actually work on coding..." - Matthew Johnson
- "Circus and Kaboom were among my favorite 2600 games. Your clones are a
lot of fun!" - 'ArturoC'
- "I liked Circus Atari, and Circus Linux was just that much more fun
when I discovered it." - Gianfranco Berardi
- "Circus linux is cool game" - Georgik
- "I love this game! The graphics are simple enough to run on our
old P133, as well as my own 2.2GHz processor, and it looks great on
both machines. CL stands right up there at the top with TuxRacer on
the list of cute, fun Linux games. I love the sound effects and
music. Everytime I play this game, it makes me smile. Do keep up the
great work." - Noir